2/29/2004

Seminal statement

Here is the first verse of a poem (written by me, natch) that represents my philosophy on life, writing, etc. This is something of a flagship posting, a ribbon-cutting ceremony of sorts, as I unleash onto your unsuspecting brains the true wrath of my monstrous psyche. Or whatever.

Ahem,



pelican man

Looking for the pelican man
always flies where he can’t stand
swallow worlds of fish and clam
he lives in never never land

never known him, to deny
tends toward philosophy
his dialectic iron clad
he’ll argue you to Hyderabad

Pelican bird, wing of steel
beak to snap a turtle shell
eyes finer than a china comb
inner sensor leads him home

legs so supple, liver good
his kidneys do as kidneys should
gizzard is a masterpiece
feathers light like heaven’s yeast

I can’t explain, such peli-charm!
ornithic song of sweet disarm;
he has a way
of opening up
and then you open up
and then you never shut up
about him
Like a celebrity that way.

He’s a king, this pelican
sceptre golden in his craw
lineage that rules man
son of god or superman
(I’ve heard the pope is quite a fan)

O you turkeys with your tryptophan
know the joys of pelican!
you can’t believe it, but I can
he’s my pal, the pelican man

No comments: