11/11/2005

trying to keep reading

Most of what I've read in the past year -

The Gutenburg Galaxy- Marshall McLuhan
Understanding Media - Marshall McLuhan (best thing I've read in about 5 years)
The Essential McLuhan - McLuhan & Zingrone, eds.
Branded Nation: the Marketing of MegaChurch, College Inc., Museumworld - James B. Twitchell
The Complete Colour Harmony Book - Tina Sutton & Bride M. Whelan
The Conquest of Happiness - Bertrand Russell
Good News For a Change - David Suzuki & Holly Driesel
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Philosophy: Who Needs It? - A.R.
The Art of Urban Cycling - Robert Hurst
Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller
The Joy of Writing - Pierre Berton
The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (the distilled wisdom of humanity; highly recommended)
The Forest for the Trees - Betsy Lerner
Bird by Bird - Anne LaMott
Design Basics Index - Jim Krause
Upon the Pun - Russell & Hammond
Mind - John Searle
The Millenium Problems: the 7 Greatest Unsolved Mathematical Puzzles of Our Time - Keith Devlin
The Affluent Society - J.K. Galbraith
Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salman Rushdie
Urban Transportation Planning - Miller & Meyer
Howl & other poems - Allan Ginsburg
The Story of Villa Charities - Virgina Willams Ariemma
The Leopard - Giuseppe Tomaso di Lampedusa
If This is a Man & The Truce - Primo Levi
Portuguese Irregular Verbs Trilogy - Alexander McCall-Smith
Chronicles Volume One - Bob Dylan
Beyond Good & Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
The Collapse of Globalism - John Ralston Saul
A Complete Treasury of Stories for Public Speakers - Morris Mandel
Your Complete Guide to Toronto Neighbourhoods - David Dunkelman
Creating Web Pages for Dummies
Marketing: What is it Good For?
The Idiot - Fyodor Doestoyevsky
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon
*All These Frickin Blogs

Still working on:

The History of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon (sitting in my bathroom, tackle it a page or three at a time, depending on my regularity; p. 500 so far)
Tales of the Unexpected - Roald Dahl (people tell me I write like him in my short stories. I don't see it)
Arcadian Adventures of the Idle Rich - Stephen Leacock (token Canlit)
Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood (token CanLit II)
The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin (started in Texas of all places; then stopped)
Bicycling Magazine's Complete Book of Road Cycling Skills - Ed Pavelka
The Bias of Communication - Harold Innis (can't wait)
Mythology - Edith Hamilton
The Satyricon - Petronius; The Apocolocyntosis - Seneca (snob appeal)
Roman Poets of the Early Empire, Penguin collection (snob appeal II)
Selected Works of Aristotle - Apostle & Gerson, eds (yeah right)
Adobe PhotoShop CS: Photographer's Guide - David Busch (I am a lousy artist but a pretty good photo editor)
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (just picked it up today)
Ulysses - James Joyce (been working on that one for 7 years!)
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (feel guilty about this one)
The Bible (strangely enough, no guilt?)


Do any of these help you understand?

On with the show then!

5 comments:

youshouldntdothat said...

i shall consider it a reading list

Anonymous said...

on with the "show them"

ct

ers said...

Wait, what was that library book I borrowed from you? I remember a lot of the content (ravines, CN tower, the Islands, street art), but the author and title escape me...

Cupcake Man said...

no, I didn't include that book (and several others), because I couldn't remember the name. but yeah, it was about places in Toronto and I think it was by Bob Fulford.

SuperP. said...

YOU READ ALL THAT??

Wow. I think I read two psych texts, this year.

I feel strangely ashamed. But, I think I'll pick out a couple from your list.. none of which I've read. Can you astericks a couple of top picks, to narrow it down?