3/24/2004

my heart on a napkin...

.
‘So,’ she asks, ‘what were YOU like when you were twenty-two?’

I stare into the corner; then it comes to me--I ask for a pen.

I spend the next 10 minutes scribbling on her napkin.

‘What the heck you doing?’

‘If I die tomorrow,’ I look up, deadpan, ‘make sure they play this at my funeral.’

‘What is it?’ She seems nervous.

I hand her the napkin, look her full in the lips:

‘It’s the answer to your question.’



MuSE (118 min)


Side A

She’s a Rainbow...................Rolling Stones
36-24-36.......................... ....Violent Femmes
Slipped Disc..........................Benny Goodman
Funny Face...........................Martina Sorbara
In a Little While....................U2
You the One.........................54-40
Sometimes...........................James
I’m So Free...........................Lou Reed
Beauty Mark.........................Rufus Wainwright
Here Comes the Sun............Beatles
Beach Music..........................The Watchmen
Long Time Running...............The Tragically Hip
Anybody Else but Me............The Odds
Even When You Fall..............The Skydiggers
Half a World Away.................R.E.M.
Walk Away............................Ben Harper


Side B

Something.............................Beatles
I Held Her in my Arms............Violent Femmes
Pump it up.............................Elvis Costello
Find the River........................R.E.M.
Don’t Get Your Back Up.........Sarah Harmer
Catch....................................The Cure
Hollywood Cemetery.............Cracker
Jealousy................................Natalie Merchant
Paper Bag.............................Fiona Apple
No One Else..........................Weezer
Kiss.......................................Prince
Yellow...................................Coldplay
Pay Your Way.......................Pure
You’re So Great....................Blur
Promenade...........................U2
Under Pressure....................Queen + David Bowie
I’ll Fly Away..........................Allison Krauss



ps I’ll be 26 in July.

(There was no second date.)

2 comments:

Actively Acting Out said...

the best mix ever? It's pretty good but I just might happen to disagree:)

Cupcake Man said...

perhaps I've been able to conjure something better in recent weeks, it's true